Notes to readers of this Blog


NOTES TO READERS OF THIS BLOG

Thank you for dropping by to check out my blog. You will see a lot of other Blogs about birds I follow down the left hand side. I strongly encourage you to check some of these out as well, they are entertaining and I love to see birds from all over the world, I hope you do too.
Cheers,
Richard

Friday 12 June 2015

Birds of Prey Bonanza - photos

Over the past week I have been very fortunate to see and observe a number of Birds of Prey.
Apart from the Grey Falcon experience I mentioned in the previous post, the area west of Alice Springs has been a BoP watcher’s paradise. From the sheer awe of a close-up encounter with a Wedge-tailed Eagle, the exhilaration of hearing the whoosh of a Black Falcon swooping prey only ten feet away, the variety of “sentry” alarm calls echoing across the “killing fields”, to the gentle soaring of a Black-breasted Buzzard and the almost trance-like slow flapping of the Spotted Harrier. The speed demons – Peregrine Falcon and Australian Hobby, the stealth of the Brown Goshawk and the Collard Sparrowhawk, and the hover-crafters – the Nankeen Kestrel and the Black-shouldered Kite. The Whistling and Black Kites, common but still delightful to watch and hear, and finally the inquisitive Little Eagle. All in a week. All different. All inspiring. All large (in bird terms) and generally easy to spot in the sky.

The following is a range of photographs I’ve managed over the past week. I hope you enjoy,


Wedge-tailed Eagle






 Australian Hobby



Black Falcon



Black-breasted Buzzard



Brown Falcon




Brown Goshawk



Collared Sparrowhawk



Little Eagle


Nankeen Kestrel with 9 Willie Wagtails

Spotted Harrier




 Whistling Kite

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a dream spot Richard! My type of country! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Raptor heaven - literally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab-bloody-rilliant! I want your job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gents. Sorry Jack, not giving up the job any time soon ☺️

    ReplyDelete